Alert Emergency Alert

Sign up for E- NOTIFY to receive Emergency Alerts via Email & Text Messages

Read More
Email me when this page is updated

Recycling & Garbage

Where do I place my recyclables?
In paper grocery bags, boxes, or baskets on the curb in FRONT of your residence by 7:00 a.m. on your designated day.  
Do NOT place in the alley!

Drop off site located at the Virginia Public Works Garage:
15th Avenue West and 20th Street South       

NEWSPAPERS & PAPERS    PLASTIC                                       CARDBOARD         
  • Put in a paper grocery bag

  • Magazines up to 1/2 inch thick

  • Junk Mail

  • Paperboard and Pressed Paper (cereal/beverage boxes) can be recycled with your paper products (newspapers, letters, etc)

  • Put in a paper grocery bag
  • Now accepting ALL #1 and #2 plastic bottles, jars & tubs
  • No need to remove labels
  • Rinse clean and throw away caps

  • Flatten and bundle
  • Cut to 2’ x 2’ squares
  • Corrugated (shipping type) cardboard ONLY
  • Put in a paper grocery bag
  • Brown, Green and Clear Glass
  • Bottles and Jars Only
  • Rinse clean. Remove all caps and metal rings
  • NO need to remove labels
  • NO window glass, light bulbs, or mirrors
  • NO dishes or drinking glasses
  • Put in a paper grocery bag with plastics & cartons
  • Recycle all beverage and vegetable cans
  • Recycle aluminum and bi-steel
  • Rinse clean. Remove caps and metal rings
  • No need to sort by type or remove labels
  •  Gabled (milk, juice, cream, egg substitute, etc.)
  • Aseptic (juice boxes, soups, gravies)

  • Rinse clean and remove caps or straws

  • Put in paper bag with plastics and metal cans




  • Paper plates, paper towels or napkins
  • Window Glass
  • Light Bulbs
  • Dishes and Drinking Glasses
  • Hose/Pipe
  • Adhesives
  • Waxed Cardboard
  • Wrapping Paper, Tinsel, Garland and Bubble Wrap.  These items can be placed in blue bags in dumpsters.
  • Plastic packaging (example: toy packaging)


  • Product Packages
  • Oil Containers
  • Paint Cans
  • Plastic Bags
  • Pails
  • Toys
  • Containers that held Hazardous Waste  



If you have questions about recycling, contact Public Works at (218) 748-7515.